Monday, August 31, 2026

The Gospel of Luke 22:56-57 When God Says...I Say, AMEN!

When God Says …

“But a certain maid beheld him as he sat by the fire, and earnestly looked upon him, and said, This man was also with him. And he denied him, saying, Woman, I know him not.” (Luke 22:56-57 KJV).

While Apostle Peter was enjoying the warmth seated by the fire in the courtyard, a servant girl at the High Priest's house looked at him keenly. When the servant girl pointed Peter that she recognized him as one of the Lord’s disciples, Peter denies knowing the Lord out of fear. We note, however, that in spite of his fear and failure, Peter remained in the courtyard in the presence of His Master and Lord, unmindful of what he just did. He denied knowing his Lord whom he professed to follow to prison and death in his declaration at dinner earlier. But, here he is wavering.

This stumble of Apostle Peter began when he hesitatingly followed our Lord Jesus "at a distance" rather than staying close by Him. Now, seated in the camp of those plotting to eliminate the Lord, Apostle Peter must be overwhelmed by evident tension surrounding him. This illustrates how human fear and self-reliance lead to compromise and fall. A servant girl staring at Peter by the fire must be very terrifying for Peter in his state of relying on his own strength.

This highlights the difference between human self-confidence (which fails under pressure) and true dependence on God's grace guaranteed by the Lord’s sacrifice at the cross. We are weak. In our weakness we must yield to God's grace by faith. Apostle Paul's testimonial exhortation reminds and assures us. It is written: “But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong.” (2 Corinthians 12:9-10 ESV).

And I say, AMEN!

Daily reflections by:
F. A. Frias
PFC Ministries

When God says... I say, AMEN! is a provocative reflection of the Lord's holy Word. It intends to challenge every seeker of truth to dig deep into the core of the Word of Life to point every being to Christ Jesus - the author and finisher of our faith, and to draw revelations for change, for nourishment and for strength of every soul.


Partners For Christ Ministries, INC.
P. O. Box 773716
Ocala, FL 34477

Touching lives in Cambodia, The Philippines, The Middle East, The USA, and... other countries.

No comments: